We get asked this question many times each year. Modular homes of today are the same construction as site built homes. We specialize in Friendship Homes of Montevideo MN and North Star System Built Homes of Redwood Falls MN. One of the big difference is modular homes are built in a controlled environment out of the wind, rain, snow, sun and temperature changes. This allows the finished product to be dry, in new condition and very stable. Shingles seal down better, all wood products in the house do not expand or contract causing stress cracking and the siding is installed all at the same temperature. This helps all the outside trim and siding to remain in a stable position.
Key factors that are the same:
- Wood floor truss system with ¾” tongue and groove OSB plywood flooring
- 2x6 exterior walls with 7/16” OSB plywood sheathing, house wrap, vinyl siding, R-19 insulation with poly and ½” sheetrock.
- Engineered roof trusses 24”o/c with OSB plywood roof sheathing, ice & water barrier, 15# felt and 30yr architectural grade shingles.
- Soffit vents, air chutes and ridge vents are used for proper attic ventilation.Ceilings are insulated to R-44 with poly and sheetrock. Ceilings are taped & textured.
- Premium all vinyl windows with Low-e high performance glass.
- Quality steel insulated entry doors with storm doors.
- Available with solid wood trim, doors and cabinets in a variety of colors.
- Vinyl, laminate, wood and carpeted floors are available.
Another BIG advantage is you the customer do not have to coordinate the carpenter, plumber, electrician, insulator, sheetrock tape & texture or floor covering contractors. WHY??? Because it is already done for you, which makes the whole process a lot more enjoyable. We have found over the years modular homes usually run 20% less in cost than site built, that doesn’t hurt either.